Catherine Swaback, Director of Marketing Strategy at Alliance Residential Company, shares her expertise and insights regarding what it takes to build a great culture of success for Multifamily Operators. She explains how Alliance Residential is attracting and retaining the next generation workforce.
MULTIFAMILY LEADERSHIP SUMMIT 2016 | BUILDING A WINNING CULTURE & BRAND PANEL DISCUSSION | CATHERINE SWABACK
QUESTION 1: How are you promoting your brand internally to your current associates and externally to hiring candidates?
- Hire people that value integrity, passion for leadership, innovation, and creativity
- Invest in associates – Alliance University facilitates success, long-term career path
- Leadership opportunities, career advancement opportunities, continued education
- Associate Significance
- Early adoption is organic
- Associates are brand ambassadors
- Talent team focused on campaigns that focus on current associates
- Why Alliance? Why Multifamily? Associates tell their stories.
QUESTION 2: What is Alliance’s corporate social media strategy and how does reputation management actually play into that?
- One strategy with multiple components across the board
- Corporate strategy is same as specific property social media strategy
- Social Listening is key
- Push-pull model
- Learn from what is being said about brand
- What kind of content is being posted and shared?
- Work with on-site teams to make sure they understand the importance of Alliance’s digital footprint
- Protect brand
- Brand sentiment – what are the reviews saying, are they positive or negative?
- Responding proactively to reviews, both positive and negative
- Retaining residents based on associates
QUESTION 3: How do you train your associates to be responsible with social media and digital footprint?
- Reputation Management
- Associates manage their own profiles
- Tools, strategy, and structure given
- Set of best practices, on-site training, social media manager to oversee
QUESTION 4: What strategies is Alliance Residential using to leverage the video aspect of everything?
- Content is key within the video space
- Relatable, relevant to target audience and consumer
- Identify target audience
- Understand nuances between regions
- Look at much more than demographic data
- Tug at the heartstrings in order to fulfill consumer desires
- The home is an intimate, personal part of someone’s life
- Must be relevant
- Content that is adjustable – length, location, and make sure it is shareable
- Leverage your brand ambassadors to help tell the story
QUESTION 5: How do your talent and marketing teams work together to support initiatives and what are your pain points?
- Collaborative Approach
- Support for on-site and operations teams
- Allow operators to focus on what they do best – leasing
- Leverage each other’s strengths, mutual respect for individual abilities
- Strength within the group
- Recruitment Efforts
- Talent team comes up with ideas
- Collaborate with Marketing team
- Identify correct channels to reach the best potential employees
- Understand the budget – be effective
- Ensure messaging is resonating with the right people
QUESTION 6: What social listening tools are you using to gain that insight?
- Social Media Manager in-house
- Site teams encouraged to use Yelp, Facebook, and other pages to see what people are saying
- Engage in what is being said
- Grow and understand how to make better decisions
Multifamily Leadership Series
FREE Subscription to Multifamily Leadership the Series. Preparing Multifamily Leaders for the FUTURE of WORK.